I used to work with a Dr. that said the liver is and can be the root cause of many health conditions and diseases. So what is it that harms the liver and can lead to further health issues and what helps to heal the liver?
1. Too much protein in the diet can stress the liver. The liver has to metabolize proteins into simple compounds, and the greater the protein amount, the greater the stress. High protein diets are poplar right now. But the truth is that the liver has to process those proteins, so too much protein in the diet can stress the liver. And you can consider what that means if the stomach isn’t breaking those down properly to begin with.
2. Too much sugar and simple carbohydrates in the diet can stress the liver. The body actually converts excess sugars into triglycerides, which are stored in the liver as fat. And this is the major indicator of heart disease, and why sugar is a bigger factor in heart disease than fat is.
3. Overeating can stress the liver.
4. Too much enzyme-deficient food can be taxing to the liver. And this is where the raw foodies are going to proclaim that their diet is higher in enzymes and therefore better for the body. If we can process them, then we do want to think about getting in some raw, sprouted, fermented foods to get more enzymes into our diet.
5. Drug residues, whether they be from medicinal, recreational, or residue from chemotherapy, need to be processed and purified for elimination from the liver.
6. Alcohol causes inflammation in the liver. I think we all know this. The liver has a more difficult time filtering when it’s inflamed, and when the liver is clogged up with fat, it increases the level of inflammation and this can lead to cirrhosis, which is the hardening of the cells in the liver. And that leads to the inability of the liver to regenerate itself.
7. Certainly too many toxins, heavy metals, or pesticides damage or stress the liver.
8. Lack of exercise forces the liver to do the elimination that should be relegated to the lungs and the skin.
Diseases of the liver, like chronic hepatitis C, harm the liver and thwart its function.
So ultimately the symptoms that we’ll see from impaired liver function can lead to anything as broad ranging as: digestive troubles, constipation, low energy, allergies, hay fever, arthritis, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and infertility and more. So what can we do to help the liver? Here's 10 Tips To Champion Your Liver!!
*From Functional Nutrition Alliance